The latest film from Walt Disney Animation Studios, Encanto, has been in theaters and has already made its way to Disney + here in the United States. Now we have a release date for the film in China.
What is happening:
- According to the variety, Encanto hits Chinese theaters on January 7, 2022.
- This, with the release of Paramount’s Paw Patrol: The Movie marks the first revenue-sharing import titles to arrive in China from their respective studios in some time, as the Hollywood content pipeline in China has dried up relatively dry as many titles have been stuck in censorship limbo no release date.
- Until now, Encanto grossed $ 88 million in the United States and $ 194 million. Releasing in a large market like China could dramatically increase the film’s profits, as do comparable titles like Zootopia and coconut, which grossed $ 236 million in 2016 and $ 189 million in 2017.
More Encanto news:
- Walt Disney Animation Studios Encanto tells the story of an extraordinary family, the Madrigals, who live hidden in the mountains of Colombia, in a magical house, in a bustling city, in a wonderful and charming place called an Encanto. The magic of Encanto blessed every child in the family with a unique gift ranging from super strength to the power to heal — every child except one, Mirabel (voiced by Stéphanie Beatriz). But when she discovers that the magic surrounding the Encanto is in danger, Mirabel decides that she, the only ordinary Madrigal, may well be the last hope of her exceptional family.
- The film is directed by Jared Bush (co-director Zootopia) and Byron Howard (Zootopia, Tangled), co-directed by Charise Castro Smith (screenwriter The death of Eva Sofia Valdez), and produced by Yvett Merino and Clark Spencer; the screenplay is by Castro Smith and Bush. Encanto features original songs by Emmy, GRAMMY and Tony Award winner Lin-Manuel Miranda (Hamilton, Moana); Germaine Franco (Dora and the lost city of gold) composed the original score.
Walt Disney Animation Studios Encanto is now available to stream on Disney +.