Times Square subway pusher’s sister says he’s mentally ill


New York City has seen an increase in the number of violent crimes committed by repeat male offenders, often arrested for violent or alarming crimes in the past but not held in jail pending court appearance.

Winston Glynn: ‘Teen cashier shot dead at Burger King where he worked’

Winston Glynn, a 30-year-old homeless man, was arrested for the cold-blooded murder of a 19-year-old Burger King cashier during a robbery in January.

He was free to kill after being released without bail for threatening another man with a screwdriver just over a month before the murder.

Glynn was on the streets after his November 30 arrest because his crime was “ineligible for bail.”

Xavier Israel: “Beating the Good Samaritans”

Xavier Israel, 25, who had previously assaulted three other people in the past two weeks, attacked an unidentified 59-year-old man who tried to give the homeless man his coat in freezing weather. He was charged with assault, robbery and robbery.

Israel had been arrested and released for its three previous attacks, one on January 2, when it allegedly beat two 18-year-olds in Central Park, and then on Saturday when it assaulted a 49-year-old woman who was trying to offer him to help.

He had been released both times on appearance tickets — meaning he had to appear in court on a different date — since he had no previous convictions, according to NYPD records.

Craig Tamanaha: “Set the Fox News Christmas tree on fire”

Craig Tamanaha, 49, was arrested for setting fire to the Fox News Christmas tree on December 7. It wasn’t a political attack – the homeless man targeted the tree at random, climbing it as Fox News employees looked on, then using a lighter to set it alight.

Tamanaha has a lengthy criminal record spanning at least 20 years and two states, and he was arrested in November for exposing himself outside of Ghislaine Maxwell’s trial in the city.

In 2002, Tamanaha, then 30, was arrested in Abilene, Texas for public intoxication. Between 2017 and 2018, he was arrested three times and charged with public intoxication, burglary and resisting arrest.

Tamanaha, who is described as homeless and “emotionally disturbed”, faces six misdemeanor charges including arson, reckless endangerment, criminal mischief and criminal trespass.

Because all of his charges are misdemeanors, bail could not be set for him and Tamanaha is back on the streets without supervision or mental health support.

Agustin Garcia: arrested in a crime spree that began in the Bronx

Agustin Garcia, 63, was arrested three times in 36 hours in a crime spree that began in the Bronx, where he allegedly stole a Coors Light twelve-pack from a bodega on East 165th Street around 7:30 p.m. on the 21st. November.

He was charged with petty larceny and returned to the streets – hours later he was back in handcuffs, according to the New York Police Department.

Garcia then robbed a subway passenger at knifepoint from the Canal Street subway station around 3 a.m. on Nov. 22, telling her to “stay back” when she chased him, the city said. police.

He was arrested, charged with robbery and released.

Just seven hours later, police arrested Garcia as he attempted to climb onto a platform from the backtracks at the West 145th Street/Lenox Avenue station. He fled into the tunnel after stealing another traveler’s iPhone.

After this third arrest, he was charged with robbery and criminal trespass, and was sent to Bellevue Hospital for a 72-hour psychiatric evaluation.

Darrell Johnson: “Beating two women on the Upper West Side”

Darrell Johnson, 28, was arrested Dec. 2 for allegedly beating two women on Manhattan’s Upper West Side minutes apart, leaving one of the victims with a “disfiguring” injury and sending them all to two in the hospital.

The career criminal was on the streets despite additional charges of assault, attempted assault and harassment stemming from an August 2020 incident in which he allegedly punched and stomped on a man in Harlem.

Johnson was charged with two misdemeanor assaults with intent to cause bodily harm and multiple attempted assaults and harassment for the December attacks.

Despite the slew of new and old charges against him and his lengthy rap sheet listing at least 15 prior arrests, a Manhattan judge agreed to release Johnson without bail pending trial.

Johnson is due back in court on February 1, 2022.

Anthonia Egegbara: ‘Pushed an innocent woman onto the Times Square train tracks’

Anthonia Egegbara, 29, of Queens, was charged with attempted murder on October 7, in surveillance footage that showed her pushing an innocent woman onto the tracks as a train rushed into Times station Square.

The unprovoked attack comes just three months after he was released without bail following an alleged July 5 assault that left a 40-year-old woman suffering from a black eye, a broken nose and a broken tooth.

Egegbara, who was diagnosed with schizophrenia, has a history of arrests for assault, including at least seven prior, according to NYPD records,

The three most recent incidents involved her allegedly kicking or biting other women on public transport.

Isus Thompson: “Cop hit randomly in the head with a backpack full of metal safes”

Isus Thompson, 38, randomly punched Officer Kyo Sun Lee in the head with a backpack full of a metal safe, DVD player and a number of adult videos in the Bronx on November 14.

Uninvited, Thompson approached Lee, 30, on East 194th Street in the Fordham Manor neighborhood of the Bronx around 1:30 a.m. before assaulting him from behind.

Thompson, who was also found in possession of a metal cutter at the time of his arrest, was charged with three separate assaults, possession of a weapon, harassment and resisting arrest, according to court records.

One of his assault charges was listed as a felony, giving judges discretion to set bail, but Thompson was instead released on probation, meaning he is simply required to check periodically with the court.

Thomas had previously been arrested for stabbing officer Demitrios Raptis with a knife in 2008.

Thompson pleaded guilty in 2008 to attempted second-degree murder for stabbing Raptis six times in the merry-go-round side of the stomach. Most of the hits were absorbed by Raptis’ body armor, but he also suffered stab wounds and still has a scar.

“I could have died that night,” Raptis told the New York Post. “I think the guy should be locked up, shouldn’t be released. He could have killed that officer too. He should be behind bars.

After the stabbing, Thompson was sentenced to five years in prison from 2010 and was released two years later on parole, which expired in 2015, according to correctional records. It’s unclear whether the prosecutor for Thompson’s most recent offense was aware of his prior conviction.


Comments are closed.